(214) 522-4243

What is a “deposit in lieu of bond”?

When a party filing an appeal would like to suspend execution of the trial court’s judgment, he/she may file (1) a supersedeas bond; (2) a deposit in lieu of bond; (3) a written agreement with the judgment creditor for suspending enforcement of the judgment; or (4) alternative security (pursuant to an order by the trial court). See Texas Rule of Appellate Procedure 24.1(a). A deposit in lieu of bond is required to be (1) cash; (2) a cashier’s check payable to the trial court clerk, drawn on a federally insured and federally or state-chartered bank or savings-and-loan association; or (3) with an order from the trial court judge approving this, a negotiable obligation of the federal government or of any federally or state-charted bank or savings-and-loan association. See Texas Rule of Appellate Procedure 24.1(c)(1).

Back to Frequently Asked Questions