(214) 522-4243

What is a “supersedeas bond”?

When a party filing an appeal would like to suspend execution of the trial court’s judgment, he/she may file (1) a supersedeas bond; (2) a “deposit in lieu of bond”; (3) a written agreement with the judgment creditor for suspending enforcement of the judgment; or (4) alternative security (pursuant to an order by the trial court). See Texas Rule of Appellate Procedure 24.1(a). A supersedeas bond must be issued by a surety recognized by the trial court clerk, and this is usually an insurance company. See Texas Rule of Appellate Procedure 24.1(b)(2).

Back to Frequently Asked Questions